Article : North Carolina Pesticide Training

North Carolina Pesticide Training

Under the North Carolina Pesticide Law of 1971, if you apply pesticides to any property, you need a license. This is true whether or not you receive a fee for your services.

If you spray shrubbery, kill fire ant mounds, treat pets for fleas, or even lay down “Weed and Feed” fertilizers, since these contain herbicides, you need commercial pesticide licenses.

To obtain this certification, you must pass a test administered by the N.C. Department of Agricultural and Consumer Services, Pesticide Section. It offers exams throughout the year at various locations around the state.

After receiving a pesticide license, the person must take continuing education credits, offered by Extension agents and other trained pesticide educators.

A new requirement was adopted in 2003 for an additional two hours of “specialized” recertification credit hours to maintain their pesticide license. Classes in this category are held periodically throughout the year to obtain these credits.

Training materials for both private and commercial licenses in turf and ornamental are available for a small fee. No fee is charged for the classes or for the exam.

You can schedule a test by calling the Pesticide Section at (919) 733-3356, or you can visit the Web site at


Older Comments


June 25, 2016, 5:12 pm EST

Website problems, report a bug.
Copyright © 2016 Landscape Communications Inc.