* Lawn-care contractors and professional fertilizer applicators would have to be certified in application techniques.
* Fertilizer cannot be applied before March 1 or after November 15.
* Fertilizer cannot be applied within 15 feet of a stream, or be used to melt snow or ice or allow it to fall on impervious surfaces such as driveways and sidewalks.
* Limits would be put on the amount of nitrogen and phosphorus in fertilizer that could be sold over the counter.
* Fertilizer would have to be labeled with warnings for consumers to not apply near water, to sweep the product from driveways, sidewalks and streets, and to not apply if heavy rain is expected.
* Maximum fertilizer application rates would be set.