As of November 2010 there is a new version of the Handbook for Public Playground Safety from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Its front cover is similar to the previous one, with the exception of one picture change and it is purple instead of blue. Also, the 2008 version had a disclaimer on the front cover, which was removed from the 2010 edition. This new version is official, having been reviewed and approved by the CPSC.
The handbook presents safety guidelines for public playground equipment to promote greater safety awareness among those who purchase, install and maintain public playground equipment. Because many factors may affect playground safety, the CPSC staff believes guidelines, rather than mandatory rules, are appropriate. These guidelines are not the sole method to minimize injuries associated with playground equipment, however, the commission believes the recommendations, together with the technical information in the ASTM standards for public playgrounds, will contribute to greater playground safety.
There are some additional examples to clarify the use of materials.
- Updated injury statistics.
- A new test method for identifying angles that may entrap young children.
- Clarification of how childcare centers and schools can refine age groupings.
- Clarification of use zones for composite structures.
- A computer-friendly downloadable version with a hyperlinked table of contents.