Contacts
 










Product Search Engine




Digital Magazines



Current Issue


In Remembrance
Memorial to the Landscape Architects Lost to the Profession in 2017



image


Marvin Adleman, FASLA (1933 - June 21, 2017)

image

Marvin Adleman, FASLA, Cornell Professor Emeritus


Marvin Adleman, professor emeritus of landscape architecture at Cornell University, passed away peacefully surrounded by his loved ones in Buffalo Grove, Ill., after a long battle with Parkinson's disease.

A native of Philadelphia, Adleman attended Delaware Valley College and the Harvard Graduate School of Design. He spent 36 years as professor of landscape architecture at Cornell, where he built the landscape architecture program and headed the department for most of his tenure until his retirement in 2008. He received the ASLA's Jot D. Carpenter Medal in 2004 for sustained and significant contributions to landscape architecture education.

Prior to joining the Cornell faculty, Adleman worked at Sasaki and Associates in Boston, then started his own landscape architecture practice in Philadelphia. In 1992, Adleman was named a Fellow of the American Society of Landscape Architects, and in 2004 received the ASLA's Jot D. Carpenter Teaching Medal.

Adleman's designs included the Ithaca, N.Y. Commons in 1974, a pedestrian mall in the downtown; the arboretum at the Cornell Botanic Gardens, recently named the top university arboretum in the country by Best College Reviews; the Laboratory of Ornithology Bird Garden; the garden at Cayuga Medical Center; Ithaca's Cass Park children's spray pool; plus the redesign of outdoor spaces at central New York schools and college campuses.

Prof. Peter Trowbridge, chairman of the Cornell Department of Landscape Architecture, called Adleman a "consummate educator" esteemed by many for his knowledge and for his kindness.

Mr. Adleman is survived by his wife, Susan, née Plaut. The couple were married for 51 years, had three children and four grandchildren.

Sources: Ithaca Journal and the Cornell Chronicle



Edward "Ted" Baker (1941 - April 28, 2017)

image

Ted Baker with his son Timothy, daughter-in-law Erika and grandchildren Sage and Summer.


Ted Baker was born in Staten Island, New York. He earned his degree at California State Polytechnic University, the ventured out to gain experience with a handful of landscape architecture firms before settling down in Miami in 1968 to run his own Coral Gables-based firm, Ted Baker Landscape Architecture. He went on to teach at Florida International University, and also served as a landscape architect for the city of Miami.

Baker was a founding member and chairman of the Miami-Dade County Historic Preservation Board. He was on the Miami Urban Development Review Board for 14 years, and on the Miami Design Review Board for three years. He was a member of the Florida Urban Forestry Council, and was chairman of the Florida Board of Landscape Architects.

Friends and family remember Ted for his humor, warmth and passion for the profession. He was described as dedicated to education, having a love of music and likely to come home with a stray or abandoned animal.

"Creating a landscape is about creating an experience," Baker told the Miami Herald. "The more daring and challenging those are, the more exciting and rewarding the place will be."

His second wife, Lisy, survives Baker. They were together 31 years. He also leaves behind sons Edward and Timothy, daughter Kristen, stepdaughter Monique and six grandchildren.



George Sease Betsill (Nov. 17, 1919 - Sept. 9, 2017)

image


George Sease Betsilll was born in Enoree, S.C., the second son of Varina Feagle and William Russell Betsill. He graduated from Woodruff High School in 1937 and from the University of Georgia in 1941 with a degree in landscape architecture. Mr. Betsill served in the Army during World War II.

George was an RLA and a member of the ASLA. He was the resident landscape architect for The Cloister at Sea Island, Georgia for many years before moving to New York in 1966 to work with Innocenti and Webel, a nationally recognized firm noted for its innovative interpretation of classical landscape architectural design.

During his more than 25-year tenure there, he was lead landscape architect for many projects, including The Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, Keeneland Thoroughbred Race Track in Lexington, Kentucky, and Furman University in Greenville, S.C. In his later career, he did extensive landscape design work for Ballantyne Corporate Park in Charlotte, N.C., where the "Betsill Building" was named in his honor. In the 1980s, he received an award from then First Lady Nancy Reagan for his landscape design at the Charles Engelhard Court located in the American Wing of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.

Mr. Betsill was an active member at Trinity Episcopal Cathedral in Columbia, S.C., and sang in the choir for many years. He was also an active board member of the Brevard Music Festival in Brevard, North Carolina.



Calvin Thomas Bishop (Oct. 11, 1929 - Aug. 19, 2017)

image


Calvin Thomas Bishop, born in Alexander City, Alabama, became a well-respected Texas landscape architect. He earned a BLA from Auburn University in 1951, and with Robert Walker established the Houston firm of Bishop & Walker Landscape Architects and Planners, which rose to national prominence.

His design projects in Houston include Bush Intercontinental Airport master landscape site and development plans, Houston Museum of Fine Arts, home office site plan for Humble Oil and Refining Co. (Exxon), and the FAA Regional Air traffic Control Center.

National projects include the American Rose Center in Shreveport, and the FBI Academy in Quantico, Va. The work of Bishop and Walker was featured in Architectural Record, Architectural Forum, Better Homes and Gardens and Southern Living.

Bishop served as ASLA president in 1981-82. In 1984, he joined the faculty of the Department of Landscape Architecture at Mississippi State University as associate professor of landscape architecture. In 2007, he was selected the "Distinguished Landscape Architect of Texas" by the Texas ASLA Chapter.

Bishop was a founding member of Billboards Limited, Inc., seeking to improve the look of Houston streets and highways. He was also chairman of the Governor's Comprehensive Study Committee to produce development goals for the Houston-Gulf Coast (1972).



Thomas Howard Bonnell, FASLA (Oct. 16, 1933 - July 15, 2017)

image


Thomas Bonnell, 83, passed away after a two-year battle with pancreatic cancer. Born in Columbus, Ohio, he obtained a BA from Ohio Wesleyan University in 1956, then completed a BS in landscape architecture, cum laude, from Ohio State University in 1961 and an MLA from the Harvard University Graduate School of Design in 1965. Tom's career began with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, completing site planning and design at state parks. He then did municipal park design in Minneapolis, then worked for three years in the Boston area on university projects, corporate headquarters and industrial parks. From 1966 to 1986, Tom was a partner with Bircher-Bonnell & Associates before starting his own firm, Bonnell & Associates. He merged his firm in 1986 with E.G. & G. of Akron.

He enjoyed 32 years of challenging and rewarding landscape architecture in the private sector prior to his retirement in 1998. Tom was a part-time faculty member at Ohio State University in architecture and landscape architecture, a visiting lecturer at Penn State, Virginia Tech and West Virginia universities, a visiting evaluator to university programs for the Landscape Architectural Accreditation Board, and a member of the L.A. Accreditation Board and the Ohio Board of L.A. Examiners.

Tom was honored with numerous design awards, including one presented by First Lady Nancy Reagan at The White House.



David Hamilton (1926 - Jan. 10, 2017)

image


David Hamilton, 90, passed away in La Quinta, Calif., after a short illness. He was born in Highland Park, Michigan, the eldest son of Robert and Helen Hamilton. After serving in WWII as a Navy seaman, he joined the Army Reserves and married Helen Hamilton in 1947. He attended Michigan State University and graduate with a degree in landscape architecture in 1950, then took a position as draftsman with the planning department of Palm Springs. In 1957 he became the assistant planning director for Palm Springs, then opened a private office in 1960. His lengthy and respected career as a landscape architect paired him in design projects with the architecture firms of Donald Wexler and Richard Harrison, and William Cody. Projects of note included the Palm Springs Airport Terminal, Desert Water Agency, the Royal Hawaiian Estates, DeMuth Park, Desert Memorial Park, Raymond Cree Junior High School, planning for Living Desert and many residential projects.

Hamilton was a lifelong member of ASLA and a proponent of city planning, serving on the Palm Springs planning and architectural advisory committees. He was an early member of the Palm Springs Air Museum and enjoyed military history and its preservation.

David married Monann Fee of Palm Springs in 1973. She passed away in 1989. His first wife, Helen, passed away in 2014.



J. Douglas Macy, FASLA (Passed away November 10, 2017)

image


Editor's note: As this issue was going to print, we learned that J. Douglas Macy, FASLA, passed away on November 10, 2017.

A graduate of University of Oregon's School of Architecture and Allied, Macy was a founding partner of the Walker Macy firm in 1976, and was currently engaged with selected firm projects in a principal emeritus capacity. With more than 40 years of experience in the profession, his work demonstrated a commitment to design excellence and stewardship of the built and natural environment in the Northwest, including Pioneer Courthouse Square, the Vietnam Veterans of Oregon Memorial, and the PSU Urban Center Plaza.



Margarett Anne Harrison (Feb 1, 1963 - Oct 5, 2017)

image


Margarett Harrison, age 54, died October 5th after a three-year battle with cancer. She was born and raised in Klamath Falls, Oregon and earned her bachelor's in landscape architecture at the University of Oregon.

Margarett lived and worked most her adult years in Seattle, and had over 27 years of experience as a licensed landscape architect. She was a landscape architect owner/principle of Harrison Design in Seattle, and was a registered landscape architect in Wash., Ore., and Calif. She was also a certified arborist and a LEED accredited professional. Her design leadership was described as merging a guiding, experiential vision with innovative and precise detailing, focusing her efforts on resolving the complex relationships between people and environments at all scales.

She was a member of the International Society of Arboriculture, American Society of Consulting Arborist, AIA Design for Aging Committee, CLARB, and the Pacific Northwest Horticultural Therapy Association.

She was preceded in death by her parents, Rosemary and Elwood Maloney, and is survived by her husband, Sean Coney, sons, Ben and Samson and five brothers and sisters.

Susie Gee, of Burien, Washington, posted this comment on her passing:
"She designed my front garden and it brings me so much joy. Margarett, you will be missed so much. You fought hard and enjoyed life, you are a great example on how to live each day to the fullest. Your friends will all miss you very much."

Jessica Murphy, of Seattle, wrote:
"I have fond memories of working with Margarett on the Seawall project landscaping, including very challenging beach habitat designs. Margarett was always a pleasure to work with and always willing to work together to achieve the project goals and talk through the pros and cons of the various choices. Her legacy will live on through her work on this very signature project for the city."



Joseph A. Jendrasiak (Aug. 8, 1941 - Aug. 23, 2017)

image


Joseph A. Jendrasiak, age 76, of Hubbard, Ohio passed away August 23, 2017 at Hospice of the Valley Hospice House in Poland, Ohio. Joe was laid to rest at Wintergreen Gorge Cemetery in Erie, Penn.

Joe was born in Erie, Pennsylvania, son of John and Erma Flinkman Jendrasiak. After graduating from Penn State University with a BA in landscape architecture he joined Duncan Landscape and Associates, where he received more than 30 civic improvement awards from the city of Youngstown, and was commissioned as the landscape architect for the U.S. Embassy in Wellington, New Zealand. In 1976 Joe was one of five businessmen selected by District 665 Rotary International to participate in the group study exchange program to tour Japan and learn the Japanese culture.

In 1977 Joe started and was co-owner of Lande-Con Landscape and Construction Co., in Hubbard. In 1989 the company became solely a design firm. As an RLA in Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York, the firm did projects in and around the Youngstown area, parks and schools in Pennsylvania and Ohio, including Hubbard's new school and track complex.

Joe was a member of ASLA, the Hubbard Rotary Club (1981-1982 president), the Youngstown Area Jaycees, Penn State Alumni Association, Hubbard Architectural Board and Harding Park Meeting House Committee.

Joe enjoyed woodworking, fishing and gardening. Joe leaves behind his wife of 53 years, Judie nee Post, whom he married June 27, 1964, his son, Joseph, and sisters Virginia and Linda.



David Lose, FASLA (1940 - June 20, 2017)

image


David Lose, 77, passed away suddenly while visiting Ireland with his wife of 54 years, Betti.

A 1967 landscape architecture graduate of North Carolina State University, he began his career at Miller, Wihry & Lee in Louisville. In 1968, the firm positioned him to open a branch office in Nashville. While there, David contributed to the site plans for Fannie Mae Dees Dragon Park near Vanderbilt. In 1982 he founded Lose & Associates. The firm grew into one of the largest landscape architecture firms in Tennessee. Although Lose had cut back his hours at the firm, he continued to work there until his passing.

David's forte was parks and recreation master planning. Notable work included Riverfront Park, Cedar Hill Park, Wave Country, Stones River Greenway, Edgar Evins State Park (for Tennessee State Parks), the 125,000-acre Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area (for the Army Corp of Engineers), and Shiloh National Military Park and Stones River National Battlefield for the NPS. David became an ASLA Fellow in 1992. He was an active member of NRPA, serving as a trustee (1997-2002) and as chairman (2002-2005). He was also a chairman of the Tennessee State Board of Architects, Engineers and Interior Designers.

The Lose family remembers David for his generosity and sense of humor about himself and the world, describing him as warm and engaging, a person who liked people, the outdoors and a man who took pride in his family.



Howard E. Troller, FASLA (1923 - June 14, 2017)

image


The Southern California ASLA Chapter ASLA wrote the following about Mr. Troller's passing:
A native Californian and beloved Southern California Chapter ASLA member, Howard Troller was born and raised in Glendale. While studying landscape architecture at University of California, Berkeley he worked at the San Francisco offices of Eckbo, Royston and Williams, drafting and designing graphics. Royston convinced Troller to pursue an MLA, which he received in 1950.

Returning to Southern California, he worked briefly for Fred Barlow Jr., before joining the office of Ralph Cornell as principal designer. Cornell made Troller and Bill Bridgers, who had joined the practice in 1953, partners in the firm Cornell, Bridgers and Troller in 1955. As director of design and planning, Mr. Troller oversaw a growing staff of designers as the firm expanded outside Southern California to include national work with the Ford Motor Company in Detroit (1955), expanding internationally with the Nile Hilton in Cairo in 1959.

Projects of note designed by Howard Troller include the University of California, Los Angeles' Franklin D. Murphy Sculpture Garden and Inverted Fountain; Grand Park, Los Angeles; and the Los Angeles City Hall East Mall. Troller left the firm in 1978, opening his own practice Howard Troller Associates, and later Troller Mayer Associates, Inc., with Richard Mayer.

Howard was elected Fellow of the American Society of Landscape Architects in 1992.



Philip Howard "Phil" Lewis Jr. (Sept. 4, 1925-July 2, 2017)

image

Philip Howard "Phil" Lewis Jr. chaired the department of landscape architecture at the University of Wisconsin, Madison from 1964 to 1972.
Credit: Andrew Lewis, Creative Commons


Philip Howard "Phil" Lewis Jr. passed away on July 2, 2017 at the age of 91. He was preceded in death by his wife Elizabeth Thompson, and is survived by their three children, four grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.

After concluding his service with the Air Corps in 1946, Lewis enrolled in the University of Illinois and earned his bachelor's degree in landscape architecture in 1950. He interned with the National Parks Service and wrote his thesis on the Everglades Inventory and Development Study. For his work he was awarded a Charles Eliot Traveling Fellowship in Landscape Architecture, which allowed him to tour Europe for a year with his wife, whom he married in 1953.

From 1953 to 1963, Lewis worked for the University of Illinois Bureau of Community Planning, including a term as the director of the Recreation and Open Space Study of Illinois, where he identified environmental corridors and landscape personalities that then guided planning efforts.

From 1963 to 1965, he served as the director of the State of Wisconsin Recreation Resource, Research and Design, Department of Resource Development doing similar work as he did in Illinois to guide planning decisions and public land purchases.

At the University of Wisconsin, Madison, Lewis became the founder and director of the Environmental Awareness Center (EAC), part of the School of Natural Resources and the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. He had joint appointments with the Department of Landscape Architecture, Department of Urban & Regional Planning, and the University of Wisconsin-Extension. Lewis also served as chair of the UW Landscape Architecture Department from 1964 to 1972 and taught undergraduate and graduate design courses until 1995. Shortly before his retirement he served as the Jens Jensen Professor of Landscape Architecture.

He was awarded the ASLA Medal in 1987, a lifetime achievement award from ASLA Wisconsin in 2009, and was recognized with a fellowship in the Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture in 2014.



As seen in LASN magazine, December 2017.






Comment Box is loading comments...


January 18, 2018, 9:38 am PST

Website problems, report a bug.
Copyright © 2018 Landscape Communications Inc.


We Support
LO financially supports many asssociations through either the payment of dues, conference exhibits and/or discounted advertising
   

Last Updated 01-18-18
New Comic Every Monday & Thrusday.