The STMA, a professional association for men and women who manage sports fields worldwide, has announced the winners of the
2014 Field of the Year Award.
The Sports Turf Managers Association has announced the 2014 Field of the Year Award winners, which is given to members who manage baseball, football, soccer, softball and other sporting grounds at the professional, collegiate or schools (K-12) and parks and recreation level.
A panel of 11 judges independently scored entries based on playability, appearance of surfaces, utilization of innovative solutions, effective use of budget and implementation of a comprehensive agronomic program.
• Soccer - Maryland SoccerPlex Stadium Field (Boyds, Md.): Ryan Bjorn, Sports Field Director
College and University
• Baseball - Russ Chandler Stadium at Georgia Tech (Atlanta, Ga.): Jon DeWitt, CSFM, Sports Turf Manager; Chris May, Baseball Field Manager
• Football - "The Swamp" at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium - University of Florida (Gainesville, Fla.): Jason Smith, Turf Coordinator
• Softball - John Cropp Stadium at University of Kentucky (Lexington, Ky.): Eric Harshman, Sports Turf Assistant Manager
• Soccer - Georgia State Soccer Complex at Georgia State University (Atlanta, Ga.): Kyle Slaton, CSFM, Director of Sports Turf & Grounds
Schools and Parks
• Baseball - Don Dunker Field at Noblesville Schools (Noblesville, Ind.): Joshua Weigel, Superintendent of Grounds
• Football - Clover Memorial Stadium at Clover School District (Clover, S.C.): Will Rogers, Sports Turf Manager
• Softball - Waukegan Park District (Waukegan, Ill.): Noel Brusius, CSFM, Sports Turf Manager
• Soccer - North Area Athletic Complex Soccer Field at Jefferson County School District (Golden, Colo.): Sun Roesslein, Stadium Manager; Christi Clay, Stadium Manager
• Sporting Grounds - Championship Field at Pleasant View Sports Complex (Boulder, Colo.): Don McGhee, Head Sports Turf Manager
"The Field of the Year Award is a testament to the personal and professional contributions by a select group of sports turf industry leaders," says Kim Heck, CEO of STMA. "The process of selecting winners each year becomes more difficult as the candidate pool grows and the industry continues to progress with innovative technologies, state-of-the-art equipment and best practices."
Awards will be presented at the 26th STMA Conference & Exhibition in Denver, Colo. January 13-16, 2015.
For more information about STMA, please visit stma.org.
Association news and events are listed at LandscapeOnline.com. To view the calendar of upcoming events, visit www.LandscapeOnline.com, go to the Associations/Events" tab and click on "Search for Events."
If your association has news and/or events that you would like featured on LandscapeOnline.com, please send your information via email to email@example.com.